The University Ranking by Academic Performance (URAP) is published by the Graduate School of Informatics at Middle East Technical University, Ankara. The latest rankings show that Asia, especially Mainland China, has a commanding position with regard to engineering subjects while the USA and Western Europe continue to do well in the life sciences, social sciences and humanities.
URAP is a research-based ranking with six indicators:
- Current Scientific Productivity measured by articles in 2019 in journals in thetop three quartiles by impact factor (21%)
- Research Impact measured by citations 2015-2019 (21%)
- Scientific Productivity measured by total documents (10%)
- Research Quality measured by article impact total 2015-2019 (18%)
- Research Quality measured by citation impact 2015 -2019 (15%)
- International Acceptance measured by International Collaboration (15%).
The list for Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering, for example, is topped by Shanghai Jiao Tong University followed by Harbin Institute of Technology. In the top ten for this subject there are six Mainland Chinese and two Singaporean universities and one each from the US and Hong Kong.
In contrast, the list for Studies in Human Society is headed by The University of Oxford followed by Harvard, University College London, the University of Michigan and the University of Toronto.
Overall a Chinese university is in first place for 23 subjects, followed by the USA with 19, Netherlands with 9, the UK with 6, France and Brazil with 2 and Hong Kong, Switzerland and Singapore with one each.