CoinDesk, the digital currency news site, has published the third edition of its ranking of universities with the greatest impact on blockchain.
The list of fifty universities is based on a shortlist of all universities in one of the four global rankings: US News Best Global Universities, Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings, QS World University Rankings, and the Shanghai Academic Ranking of World Universities. This was supplemented by a number of other universities that asked to be included, making a total of 240 institutions,
The criteria for this ranking are:
- Scholarly Impact (30% weighting); citations of publications relating to blockchain or cryptocurrency
- Campus Blockchain Offerings (38%); classes, clubs, courses, initiatives and degrees related to blockchain
- Employment and Industry Outcomes (23%); industry partnerships and a survey of industry stakeholders
- Academic Reputation (9%); qualitative surveys and surveys published by US News, Shanghai Ranking THE, and QS.
The country with the largest number of schools in the top 50 is the USA and Mainland China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia and the UK are well represented.
The top 50 includes some universities from the traditional elite such as Berkeley, Harvard, Oxford, and Cambridge and some newcomers to the global arena including the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, the University of Nicosia and King Saud University.
The top five universities are:
- Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- National University of Singapore
- University of Zurich
- University of California Berkeley
- Cornell University.