Articles on the website China.org.cn and in China Daily have reported on the latest ranking of Chinese universities by Xinchou.cn. The salary index covers 100 universities and the data is supplied by alumni who have been working for at least a year.
The most highly paid graduates are those of Tsinghua University with an average monthly salary of 10,992 yuan ($1,699.66).
There is a close relationship between performance on these rankings and participation in Chinese projects to create world-class universities. All of the top ten universities were involved in Project 211 and seven in Project 785, both of which ended in 2016.
The biggest rise was Sun Yat-sen University which rose from 17th last year to eighth. Most of the universities with highly paid graduates are in high income cities such as Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou.
The top ten universities in this year’s rankings are:
- Tsinghua University, Beijing
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Peking University, Beijing
- University of International Business and Economics, Beijing
- Central University of Finance and Economics, Beijing
- Beihang University, Beijing
- Tongji University, Shanghai
- Sun Yat-sen University, Guangzhou
- Fudan University, Shanghai
- Beijing Foreign Studies University.