The 2020-21 edition of University Ranking by Academic Performance has just been published by the URAP Research Laboratory at the Middle East Technical University, Ankara.
This is a straightforward research-based ranking that tends to favour larger institutions such as the University of Toronto and the University of Michigan rather than, for example, California Institute of Technology (Caltech). It is noteworthy for including a large number of universities, 3,000 in the current edition.
The rankings continue to chart the rise of Chinese universities along with the stagnation of those in India and Japan. There are also impressive performances this year by French universities: Université Paris-Saclay in ninth place, Sorbonne Université in fourteenth, and Université de Paris in twenty-third.
The methodology is based on six indicators all derived from InCites:
- Current Scientific Productivity measured by articles published in 2017
- Research Impact measured by citations 2013-17
- Scientific Productivity measured by total documents 2013- 17
- Research Quality measured by article impact total 2013-17
- Research Quality measured by citation impact total 2013-17
- International Acceptance measured by international collaboration 2013-17.
The top universities in the current edition are:
- Harvard University
- University of Toronto
- Stanford University
- University College London
- University of Oxford
- Johns Hopkins University
- University of Cambridge
- University of Michigan
- Université Paris-Saclay
- University of Washington Seattle.
University Ranking by Academic Performance