04 August 2019
The Ranking Web of Universities (Webometrics) has been produced by the Cybermetrics Lab, a branch of the Spanish Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (CSIC), since 2004. It currently ranks nearly 29,000 universities in every country in the world except North Korea.
This ranking combines metrics that measure web activity and research. The current edition, published in July uses four indicators:
- Presence; number of pages of the main webdomain (weighting 5%)
- Visibility; number of external networks linking to webpages (50%)
- Transparency or Openness; number of citations from top 100 authors according to Google Scholar Citations (10%)
- Excellence or Scholar; number of papers among the top 10% most cited (35%).
The current top ten overall are:
- Harvard University, USA
- Stanford University, USA
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA
- University of Washington, USA
- University of California Berkeley, USA
- University of Michigan, USA
- University of Oxford, UK
- Columbia University, USA
- Cornell University, USA
- University of Pennsylvania, USA.
The top universities in selected regions and areas are:
Latin America; Universidade de São Paulo, Brazil
Europe; University of Oxford, UK
Asia and BRICS; Tsinghua University, China
Africa and CIVETS; University of Cape Town, South Africa
Arab World; King Saud University, Saudi Arabia
Oceania; University of Melbourne, Australia
Caribbean; University of Puerto Rico
Middle East; Tel Aviv University, Israel
South Asia; Indian Institute of Technology Bombay.