01 February 2019
The ranking web of world universities is published twice yearly by the Cybermetrics Lab, a branch of the Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, the leading Spanish research institute. This ranking has the unique virtue of including any institution with any pretension to be a university. The latest edition includes over 28,000.
At present there are four indicators:
- Presence; number of web pages in the main webdomain (5%)
- Visibility; number of external networks originating backlinks (50%)
- Openness; number of citations from top authors according to Google Scholar Citations (10%)
- Excellence; number of papers in the 10% most cited in 26 disciplines (35%).
As in previous years the top university overall is Harvard which is also the leader for Openness and Excellence. Oxford is first for presence and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) for Impact.
The upper levels are dominated by English speaking institutions. The top 41 places are held by American, British and Canadian universities. Tsinghua universities is now 42nd. The current top five universities overall are:
- Harvard University
- Stanford University
- University of Oxford
- University of California Berkeley.
Webometrics has become popular in those parts of the world that are not well served by research-based rankings and is often used to extract national or regional rankings. The African ranking this year is headed by the University of Cape Town and there are eight South African universities in the top ten. The other two are Cairo University and the University of Nairobi.
Ranking Web of Universities