23 December 2018
The latest edition of the UI GreenMetric World University Rankings was announced on December 19th. These rankings are published by Universitas Indonesia and are based on data submitted by 431 universities. The objective of the Greenmetric rankings is to compare the contribution of universities to ecological sustainability.
There are 39 metrics in six groups as follows:
- Setting and infrastructure (weighting of 15%)
- Energy and climate change (21%)
- Waste (18%)
- Water (10%)
- Transportation (18%)
- Education and Research (18%).
The top ten universities this year are:
- Wageningen University and Research Centre, Netherlands
- University of Nottingham, UK
- University of California Davis, USA
- University of Oxford, UK
- Nottingham Trent University, UK
- Umwelt-Campus Birkenfeld, Germany
- University of Groningen, Netherlands
- Bangor University, UK
- University College Cork, Ireland
- University of Connecticut, USA.
The top universities in various regions are:
Africa; American University in Cairo, Egypt
Asia and East Asia; Shandong Normal University Lishan College, China
Latin America; Universidade de Sāo Paulo, Brazil
Middle East; King Abdulaziz University, Saudi Arabia
Oceania; University of New South Wales, Australia
South Asia; Daffodil International University, Bangladesh
Southeast Asia; Universitas Indonesia.