29 October 2018
Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) have released the latest in their series of regional rankings. The Arab Region rankings are generally quite stable but the first place this year goes to King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals of Saudi Arabia which has pushed the American University of Beirut into second place. The top five are completed with King Abdulaziz University and King Saud University in Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates University.
The methodology, which has not changed since last year, has been adapted from the QS World University Rankings with modifications to meet regional priorities.
There are ten indicators: Academic reputation, Employer reputation, Faculty/student ratio, International research network, Web impact, Proportion of staff with a PhD, Citations per paper, Papers per faculty, Proportion of international faculty, and Proportion of international students.
The top ten universities this year are:
- King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, Saudi Arabia
- American University of Beirut, Lebanon
- King Abdulaziz University, Saudi Arabia
- King Saud University, Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates University
- Qatar University
- American University of Sharjah, UAE
- The American University in Cairo, Egypt
- University of Jordan
- Sultan Qaboos University, Oman.