22 October 2018
IDEAS is a database of research in Economics that includes over 2,700,000 documents most of which are fully downloadable. It also provides a collection of rankings of authors, countries and institutions. The ranking of institutions by publications over the last 10 years (as of September 2018) shows that the United States is still the dominant power in the field.
Of the top 20 institutions 13 are in the US. European institutions, however, also do very well. The Paris School of Economics is ranked 10th, Università Commerciale Luigi Bocconi in Milan 14th, and the Institute of Labor Economics in Bonn 18th.
The top five institutions are:
- International Monetary Fund, USA
- World Bank Group, USA
- National Bureau of Economic Research, USA
- London School of Economics, UK
- Department of Economics, Harvard University, USA.
The top five universities or university departments are:
- London School of Economics
- Department of Economics, Harvard University
- Economics Department, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA
- Department of Economics, University of California Berkeley, USA
- Paris School of Economics, France.
The top institutions in each region are:
Africa; Faculty of Commerce, University of Cape Town, South Africa
Asia; Eitan Berglas School of Economics, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Central America and Caribbean; Departamento Académico de Economía, Instituto Tecnólogico Autónomo de México (ITAM)
Europe; London School of Economics
South America; Facultad de Economía y Negocios, Universidad de Chile
Oceania; Monash Business School, Monash University, Australia.