28 July 2018
The new edition of the Ranking Web of Universities or Webometrics has been just published. The Cybermetrics Lab, a research group of the Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (CSIC) in Spain has published Webometrics ranking since 2004.
This ranking is updated twice a year and includes more universities than any other global ranking. In this year’s ranking over 28,000 universities are listed.
There are four metrics:
- Presence; number of webpages of the main webdomain, data from Google (5%)
- Visibility; number of backlinks to webpages, data from Ahrefs and Majestic (50%)
- Transparency; number of citations from top authors, data from Google Scholar Citations (10%)
- Excellence; number of papers in the 10% most cited, data from Scimago (35%).
The top five universities overall, and in North America and the USA, are:
- Harvard University
- Stanford University
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- University of California at Berkeley
- University of Michigan.
The top five universities in various regions are:
- Universidade de São Paulo, Brazil
- Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
- Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Brazil
- Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Universidad de Chile.
- University of Oxford, UK
- University of Cambridge, UK
- University College London, UK
- ETH Zurich, Switzerland
- University of Edinburgh, UK.
- Tsinghua University, China
- University of Hong Kong
- National University of Singapore
- Peking University, China
- Tokyo University, Japan.
- University of Cape Town, South Africa
- University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa
- Stellenbosch University, South Africa
- University of Pretoria, South Africa
- University of Kwazulu Natal, South Africa
- King Saud University, Saudi Arabia
- King Abdulaziz University, Saudi Arabia
- King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia
- American University of Beirut, Lebanon
- Cairo University, Egypt.
- University of Melbourne, Australia
- University of Queensland, Australia
- University of New South Wales, Australia
- Australian National University
- University of Sydney, Australia.