20 April 2018
Peer review is an essential part of the research process but one that has so far not been acknowledged by ranking groups. Publons is a database and website that tracks peer reviews and editorial contributions. Currently the database includes more than 340,000 researchers and more than 1.8 million reviews.
It now publishes rankings of reviewers, countries and institutions. At present the top five universities for total number of reviewers in the database are:
1. University of Queensland, Australia
2. University College London, UK
3. Universidade de Sāo Paulo, Brazil
4. University of Sydney, Australia
5. Monash University, Australia.
The top six institutions ranked by the number of top reviewers are:
1. University of Queensland
2. Universidade de Lisboa, Portugal
3. Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche (CNR), Italy
4. Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS), France
5= University of Sydney
5= Sapienza University of Rome, Italy.
The top five countries ranked by the number of reviewers are:
The top six countries ranked by number of top reviewers are: