04 April 2018
Research Papers in Economics (RePEc) is an international project to enhance the dissemination of research in economics. It is responsible for the maintenance of IDEAS, a database of papers, articles, preprints and other documents and software. IDEAS publishes several rankings of authors and institutions classified by field, country and region. The are several sub-rankings such as women and young economists.
The ranking of top economic institutions according to the last ten years of publications as of March 2018 is headed by three non-university organisations, the International Monetary Fund, Washington DC, the World Bank Group, Washington DC, and the National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
The top ten universities or university departments are:
- London School of Economics (LSE)
- Department of Economics, Harvard University
- Economics Department, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- University of California Berkeley
- Paris School of Economics
- Department of Economics, Princeton University
- Booth School of Business, University of Chicago
- Department of Economics, University of Chicago
- ifo Institut - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung an der Universität München e.V.
- Università Commerciale Luigi Bocconi.
It appears that economics is a field where Asian universities or research centres have yet to excel. The Faculty of Economics at the University of Tokyo in 234th place is the best Japanese performer. The highest ranked Chinese institution of any kind is the Central University of Finance and Economics in Beijing in 237th place and the Department of Economics at Korea University is 258th.