25 January 2018
The Ranking Web of Universities (Webometrics) is published by the Cybermetrics Lab, part of the Spanish Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (CSIC) and ranks over 27,000 universities. It has evolved to become a ranking based on web activity and research quality. Ranking is based on four indicators: presence, visibility, transparency and excellence.
- Presence; number of pages in the main webdomain derived from Google(weighting 5%)
- Visibility; number of external networks originating backlinks to webpages derived from Ahrefs and Majestic (weighting 50%)
- Transparency (openness); Number of citations from top authors derived from Google Scholar citations (weighting 10%)
- Excellence (Scholar); number of papers among top 10% most cited in 26% disciplines 2011-2015 derived from Scimago (35%).
(The current methodology can be found here.)
The top five universities in the world overall are:
- Harvard University
- Stanford University
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- University of California (UC) Berkeley
- University of Washington.
The top five for Presence are:
- National Autonomous University of Mexico
- University of Nairobi
- Masaryk University in Brno.
The top five for Impact:
- UC Berkeley
- Cornell University.
The top five for Openness are:
- UC Berkeley
- UC San Diego.
The top five for Excellence are:
- University of Michigan
- University of Oxford
- Johns Hopkins University.