The IREG Engineering Working Group consisting of academics and representatives rankers, industry, employers, professional associations and accrediting organizations met for a kick-off seminar at the University of Bremen on 15 May 2017 to discuss the future development of rankings in the field of engineering. The Group was set up by IREG Observatory on Academic Ranking and Excellence with the task of preparing a set of indicators for rankings of engineering disciplines.
Participants of the meeting (from left to right): Lothar Kroll, Dirk Bochar, Mikhail Zgurovsky, Oleg Nagornov, Waldemar Siwinski, Anja Bochman, Axel Herrmann, Michal Kleiber, Perit Cakir, Sergey Kireev, Bernard Remaud, Marek Tukiendorf, Christian Floeter.
Waldemar Siwinski made the introduction to the Seminar pointing out that “academic rankings, following the initial criticism and skepticism, have become a solid part of higher education. Their importance has been reinforced by the recent growth of rankings by subjects, and among them rankings of engineering”. Dr. Perit Cakir presented a detailed report on the current state of engineering ranking. The first session was chaired by Prof. Axel Hermann and Prof. Michal Kleiber chaired the second session. The industry’s view on the engineering rankings presented Christian Floeter representing AIRBUS company. Bernard Remaud spoke about accreditation process of engineering education; and Dirk Bochar presented opinion of professional organization on the subject.
The participants of the Bremen seminar agreed to held the second and possibly the final seminar in Moscow on 30th November and 1st December 2017.
The list of participants in the Bremen seminar (in alphabetical order):
- Kazimierz Bilanow, Managing Director, IREG Observatory
- Anja Bochmann, Project Coordinator, Cluster of Excellence "Merge", (Germany)
- Dirk Bochar, Secretary General, European Federation of National Engineering Associations "FEANI" (Belgium)
- Murat Perit Cakir, Middle East Technical University, Ankara (Turkey)
- Christian Floeter, Senior Manager People Resourcing, Airbus Germany
- Axel Herrmann, Professor for Production Technology at the University of Bremen; Director and Chairman of Faserinstitut Bremen e.V. (FIBRE); CEO at the Composite Technology Center Stade (Germany), a company of the Airbus Group,
- Sergey Kireev, Dean, National Research Nuclear University "MEPhI", Moscow (Russian Federation)
- Michał Kleiber, former President, Polish Academy of Science (Poland)
- Lothar Kroll, Dean, Chemnitz University of Technology (Germany)
- Oleg Nagornov, First Vice Rector, National Research Nuclear University "MEPhI", Moscow (Russian Federation)
- Bernard Remaud, President, European Network for Engineering Accreditation "ENAEE" (France)
- Waldemar Siwinski, Vice President, IREG Observatory (head of the IREG Engineering Working Group)
- Marek Tukiendorf, Rector, Opole University of Technology (Poland)
- Mikhail Zgurowski, Rector, Igor Sikorsky University of Technology "KPI", Kiev (Ukraine)