02 March 2017
The Shanghai Ranking Consultancy has published its Best Chinese Universities Ranking, which covers a total of 500 institutions. The objective of the ranking is “to provide students, parents and other stakeholders with reliable and comparable information about Chinese universities.”The criteria for inclusion are a minimum undergraduate enrollment of 100 and publication of 100 papers in journals indexed by Scopus.
The rank order is based on four dimensions:
- Teaching and Learning, including scores on the National College Entrance Exam (30% weighting) and graduate employment (15%)
- Research, including the number of papers in journals indexed in Scopus (10%), field weighted citation impact (10%), papers in the top 1% most cited (10%) and top cited researchers in China (10%)
- Social Service, including research income from industry (5%) and income from technology transfer (5%)
- Internationalization, compromising international students as a percentage of total students.
The top ten universities are:
- Tsinghua University
- Peking University
- Zhejiang University
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Fudan University
- University of Science and Technology of China
- Nanjing University
- Huazhong University of Science and Technology
- Sun Yat-Sen University
- Harbin Institute of Technology.